Back in February this year, Microsoft had rolled out Android app support on Windows 11. Now, the tech giant is offering an update for the Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA), which upgrades the version to Android 12.1 and offers significant improvements when it comes to integration with Windows 11. These features are currently rolling out to Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel.
Let’s have a look at the features accompanying the latest update for Windows 11.
Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA) Update: Features
The latest WSA update bears the version 2204.40000.15.0, and brings Android 12.1 to Windows 11. Microsoft notes in its blog that this might cause apps to fail, and the firm is working on fixing this bug. Speaking of buggy apps, you will no longer be sharing diagnostic data by default. You can choose to switch it on by heading over to the Windows Subsystem for Android Settings app.
Subscribe to OnsitegoGet the latest technology news, reviews, and opinions on tech products right into your inbox
Notably, the update offers a major upgrade when it comes to Windows integration. Windows taskbar icons will display a list of Android apps that are accessing the microphone and other system services in the system tray. Moreover, a taskbar will automatically hide/show when Android apps are running. Additionally, Android apps will pick up from where you left off when the system comes out of connected standby.
With the latest update, your Android apps will be able to communicate with devices on the same network as your Windows PC. The blog post explains, “With advanced networking, you can play your favorite content on a speaker on the same network, or set up a security camera (or other smart home device) with a compatible Android app”.
Windows 11 WSA Update Changelog
Here are some of the features included in the latest update rolling out to Windows Insiders:
- Windows Subsystem for Android updated to Android 12.1.
- Advanced networking on by default for newer x64 Windows builds.
- Updated Windows Subsystem for Android Settings app: redesigned UX and diagnostics data viewer added.
- Windows taskbar now shows which Android apps are using microphone and location.
- Improvements to Android app notifications appearing as Windows notifications.
- New video hardware decoding (VP8 and VP9).
- Fixes for on-screen keyboard in apps.
- Windows Subsystem for Android updated with Chromium WebView 100.
You can view the full changelog here.