Along with the iOS 15.1 update for iPhones and the iPadOS 15.1 update for iPads, Apple also released the new firmware updates for the HomePod and the HomePod Mini. Firmware update 15.1 brings the much-awaited Lossless Audio support and Dolby Atmos support to the HomePods. The HomePod supports both Lossless Audio and Dolby Atmos-based Spatial Audio, while the HomePod mini only supports the Lossless Audio feature. Lossless Audio tracks on Apple Music use the ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) and are devoid of any compression, providing higher detail and quality than the normal AAC encoded tracks. It offers Lossless Audio (up to 24-bit 48KHz) and Hi-Res Lossless Audio (up to 24-bit 192kHz). As far as the Spatial Sound support is concerned, it is advisable to pair two HomePods for a proper stereo effect. Dolby Atmos content can be consumed via Apple Music, Apple TV+, and iTunes Store.
How To Update Your HomePod To The Latest Firmware 15.1
Ideally, your HomePod or HomePod Mini should automatically get updated to the latest firmware while connected to the internet. If by any chance you have toggled the automatic updates ‘OFF’, then you will have to manually search for the update. Have a look at the steps below to update your HomePod.
- You will have to use your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or Mac to update your HomePod
- Make sure your device is updated to the latest iOS, iPadOS or MacOS
- Open the Home app
- Click the Home button
- Tap on Home Settings
- Go to Software Updates
- Select your HomePod to update. It will also notify you if your HomePod is already up to date.
A white spinning light at the top of your HomePod will indicate that it’s updating. If you have multiple HomePods, then clicking on the Update All function will install the latest firmware for all. Make sure your HomePod is plugged in through the entire process. Now that the updating process is done and dusted, let us see how to enjoy Lossless Audio music on your HomePod or HomePod Mini.
How to Turn On Lossless Audio On HomePod, HomePod Mini
- Please check the steps above to make sure your HomePod or HomePod Mini is updated to the latest software.
- Make sure you have the Home app running on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or Mac.
- Click on the Home button.
- Tap Home Settings.
- Under People, choose your name.
- Tap Apple Music.
- Here, you can toggle Lossless Audio On or Off.