During the last week’s Games Developer Summit 2022, Google had announced the compatibility of the Steam game store for Chromebooks. However, the company had not revealed enough information about the service, games library, or the release date. Now, Google has released more information that might excite some Chromebook owners. Google has published a tutorial to run Steam on compatible Chromebooks.
List Of Supported Steam Games On Chromebooks
Google has listed 48 games on Steam that are compatible with Chromebooks. The company says that these games should work with minimal problems. It’s not the complete list though, as many more games will be made available. Users can try other games and provide feedback to Google, which shall help the company to accelerate the game optimisation process.
Let us have a look at the preliminary list of games on the Steam game store for ChromeOS-based laptops.
|A Short Hike||Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition|
|Baba Is You||Bloons TD 6|
|Darkest Dungeon||Dead Cells|
|Disco Elysium||Divinity: Original Sin 2|
|Don’t Starve Together||Euro Truck Simulator 2|
|Farm Together||Fishing Planet|
|Geometry Dash||Grim Dawn|
|Hollow Knight||Human: Fall Flat|
|Kerbal Space Program||Left 4 Dead 2|
|Overcooked! 2||PAYDAY 2|
|Portal 2||Project Zomboid|
|Return of the Obra Dinn||RimWorld|
|RISK: Global Domination||Sid Meier’s Civilization V|
|Slay the Spire||Stardew Valley|
|Team Fortress 2||TEKKEN 7|
|Terraria||The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition|
|The Jackbox Party Pack 8 (and others)||The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt|
|Untitled Goose Game||Unturned|
|Vampire Survivors||World of Tanks Blitz|
How To Run Steam Games On Supported Chromebooks
- If your Chromebook is eligible, switch to ChromeOS Dev Channel.
- After updating, navigate to chrome://flags. Set both #borealis-enabled and #exo-pointer-lock to Enabled.
- After rebooting your Chromebook, open a crash terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T.
- Type “insert_coin volteer-JOlkth573FBLGa” and press Enter.
- Follow the setup flow to install Steam.
- Log in with your Steam account and enjoy gaming!
List Of Chromebooks That Support Steam Games
Subscribe to OnsitegoGet the latest technology news, reviews, and opinions on tech products right into your inbox
To run games via Steam, your Chromebook should be powered with an Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 processor with Iris Xe GPU and a minimum of 8GB RAM. Only seven Chromebook models are eligible currently. Have a look at the list below:
- Acer Chromebook 514 (CB514-1W)
- Acer Chromebook 515 (CB515-1W)
- Acer Chromebook Spin 713 (CP713-3W)
- ASUS Chromebook Flip CX5 (CX5500)
- ASUS Chromebook CX9 (CX9400)
- HP Pro c640 G2 Chromebook
- Lenovo 5i-14 Chromebook
The company says that devices with 8GB RAM may encounter issues while playing games that require 6GB of RAM. Also, Chromebooks with a display resolution of more than 1080p may experience performance or scaling related issues.