WhatsApp has started rolling out cashback rewards for users availing its WhatsApp Payments service in India. Similar tactics have been adopted by Paytm, Google Pay, PhonePe, and various other mobile payment apps to get more people to utilize their services.
The latest development comes after WhatsApp received regulatory approval to expand its payment service to over 100 million users in the country. Notably, the cashback rewards were first tested in India back in November last year.
WhatsApp Payments Cashback Rewards: Here’s How You Can Earn Them
According to a Tech Crunch report, WhatsApp is running a campaign in which users can get a cashback of ₹11 up to three times if they send money to three different users on the app. The rewards will be given regardless of the size of the transaction. WhatsApp is reportedly extending the benefit to users who have been using the service for at least 30 days and have registered for payments on WhatsApp by adding their bank account data.
Subscribe to OnsitegoGet the latest technology news, reviews, and opinions on tech products right into your inbox
However, cashback is not available on the following transactions:
- Payments are sent when you no longer see the promotion banner or gift icon in the app
- Payments via QR code
- Payments made in response to collection requests
- Payments made by entering the UPI ID of the recipient
- Payments on third-party online apps using WhatsApp
- WhatsApp Business users are not eligible
WhatsApp’s support page notes:
We’re introducing a cashback promotion for selected WhatsApp users. If you become eligible for the promotion, you might see a banner within the app, or a gift icon when you’re sending money to an eligible receiver.
Here’s how you can earn cashback rewards on WhatsApp:
- You’ll first need to send money to a WhatsApp contact who has registered for payments on WhatsApp in India.
- If your contact has registered for payments on WhatsApp, you’ll see a gift icon next to their name.
- If there is a gift icon next to the contact’s name, you’ll have to invite them to join payments on WhatsApp before sending them any amount to receive ₹11 cashback.
Have you received any cashback rewards using WhatsApp Payments? Do let us know in the comments section below.