The Asus ROG Phone 3 gaming device is finally getting updated to the Android 12 OS. The smartphone was launched back in 2020 with Android 10 on board. The Taiwanese brand had promised two major Android OS updates for the ROG Phone 3 and is now fulfilling its promise to its customers. Earlier in May 2022, Asus released an Android 12 Beta update for the device and after successful beta testing for a couple of months, it is finally pushing the stable version. It may be the final Android update for the handset, but it is likely to continue getting security update patches for some time.
The Android 12 firmware version (WW-31.0210.0210.230) was released on June 20, 2022, and is intended for the global variant of the ROG Phone 3 with the model number ZS661KS. Folks with the Chinese variant will have to visit their regional Asus website to check for the update.
If you own an Asus ROG Phone 3, you should get the OTA (Over the Air) update. If not, you can simply click here to download the firmware file. The new Android 12 update for the ROG Phone 3 brings all the exciting features that Google introduced with Android 12. It packs in updated widgets, a revamped mobile manager, a new gallery, a new console design in Armoury Crate, changes to the notifications panel, a new privacy dashboard, and enhanced privacy & security options, among other features. Check the complete changelog below.
Protect Your Mobile Phone with Onsitego's Protection Plans
- Covers Malfunctions & Breakdowns
- Mobile Repair or Replacement Guarantee
Asus ROG Phone 3 Android 12: Changelog
- Upgraded system to Android 12.
- Revamped Mobile Manager, Contacts, Phone, File Manager, Calculator, Clock, Gallery, Weather, Sound recorder, Settings, Data Transfer, Local backup, Setup wizard, System update apps.
- Updated the Console design in Armoury Crate.
- Adjusted Quick Settings panel, notification tray, and volume panel to Android 12 design.
- Added privacy dashboard, camera and microphone indicators, show clipboard access, approximate location access, and microphone access features.
- Replaced ASUS Safeguard with Android 12 Emergency SOS.
- Introduced new widget page design in Launcher. Adjusted the position of the screenshot option and removed the hotseat app icons in the Overview page..
- Removed the Quick Settings layout option in the Display settings.
- ASUS Phone removed SIP calling support as Android 12 does not natively support SIP calling.
- Some 3rd party apps are not compatible with Android 12 yet.
Subscribe to OnsitegoGet the latest technology news, reviews, and opinions on tech products right into your inbox
Before you take the plunge by updating your device from Android 11 to Android 12, you should know that brands tend to throttle the performance with updates, especially of devices near the end of their update cycles. The Asus ROG Phone 3 is mostly owned by hard-core, competitive, or online game streamers. It would be advisable to stick with Android 11 if you don’t need the new features. Asus has also shared the rollback files on its website if you wish to downgrade to Android 11 from the Android 12 OS.