After releasing the iOS 16 software update to all iPhone users last month, Apple has now released the first major update to the iOS 16: the iOS 16.1. The new software update includes a couple of new changes, enhancements, and addition of new features. The newly released iOS 16.1 software update contains Live activities, Clean Energy Charging, iCloud Shared Photo Library, and a host of new features. The update is available already in the form of the OTA, and it can be downloaded on all the compatible iPhones such as iPhone 8 and newer. Let’s take a look at the features include in iOS 16.1.
iOS 16.1 Software Update Brings iCloud Shared Photo Library, Live Activities, Fitness+ And More
As mentioned above, iOS 16.1 includes iCloud Shared Photo Library feature, which allows users to seamlessly share photos and videos with up to five other people. With the new software update, Apple has also added a new toggle in the camera app, which lets you send photos to the shared library. Furthermore, the update also includes Live activities and Clean Energy Charging. Do note that the latter feature is only available in certain regions, and it can be found under the battery section on the iPhone. iOS 16.1 also contains Apple’s Fitness+ which is now supported on iPhones even if you don’t have an Apple Watch.
What’s New In iOS 16.1?
iCloud Shared Photo Library
Subscribe to OnsitegoGet the latest technology news, reviews, and opinions on tech products right into your inbox
– Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people
– Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library
– Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Personal Library, or both libraries together
– Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favorite, caption, and delete photos
– Sharing toggle in Camera lets you choose to send photos you take straight to the Shared Library, or enable a setting to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth
– Live Activities from third party apps are available in the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen for iPhone 14 Pro models
– Apple Fitness+ is supported on iPhone even if you don’t have an Apple Watch
– Key sharing enables you to securely share car, hotel room, and other keys in Wallet using messaging apps such as Messages and WhatsApp
– Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported enabling a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems
Clean Energy Charging
– New setting that can try to reduce your carbon footprint by selectively charging when lower carbon emission electricity is available
– Reader controls are automatically hidden as you start reading
This update also includes bug fixes for your iPhone:
– Deleted conversations may appear in the conversations list in Messages
– Dynamic Island content is not available when using Reachability
– CarPlay may fail to connect when using a VPN app
Alongside releasing this new software update with new features, Apple has also addressed a list of vulnerabilities, including kernel issues in the new software update. A full list related to the same is available in Apple’s security support document.
Have you updated your iPhone to iOS 16.1? Do let us know in the comments section below.
Discussion about this post