WhatsApp will now let you transfer your chat history from Android to iPhone. Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced this development on his Facebook page. The much-awaited feature comes nearly a year after the messaging platform rolled out the capability to transfer conversations from iPhone to Android.
Zuckerberg announced on his Facebook page, “We’re adding to WhatsApp the ability to securely switch between phones and transfer your chat history, photos, videos, and voice messages between Android and iPhone while maintaining end-to-end encryption. This is a top requested feature.”
To be eligible for the update, your device will need to run Android 5 or later. You will also need to have WhatsApp version 126.96.36.199 or above on your phone. Moreover, your iPhone should have iOS 15.5 or later. You’ll also require the Move to iOS app installed on your Android phone.
Subscribe to OnsitegoGet the latest technology news, reviews, and opinions on tech products right into your inbox
While transferring WhatsApp data from your iPhone to an Android phone requires a cable, Android to iPhone transfers can be done wirelessly. Do note that both phones should either be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or you’ll have to connect your Android device to the hotspot connection of your iPhone. Additionally, both devices will have to connected to a power source.
How To Transfer Chats From Android To iPhone
- On your Android phone, open the Move to iOS app and follow the on-screen directions.
- Your iPhone will receive a code, type that in your Android phone. Keep following the prompts displayed on-screen.
- Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen.
- Select START on your Android phone.
- Select NEXT to go back to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap CONTINUE, this will transfer your data from your Android phone to your iPhone.
- Then, head on over to the App Store to install the latest version of WhatsApp.
- Log in to WhatsApp with the same phone number as that on your old device.
- Tap Start when the app prompts you. This will transfer your conversations to your iPhone.