After a few weeks of closed beta testing, OnePlus has finally started rolling out the first Open Beta build of OxygenOS 13 to the OnePlus 9 and the OnePlus 9 Pro smartphones. OxygenOS 13 is based on Android 13 and was first introduced in August alongside the launch of the OnePlus 10T smartphone. As for the availability, the first Open Beta for the OnePlus 9 and the 9 Pro is currently being rolled out to users in North America and India. However, we can expect the update to arrive for other regions in the near future.
To upgrade, make sure your device is running the latest version of OxygenOS 12 with the build number C.63. Switching to the Open Beta build will erase all the contents of the phone. Hence, it is advised to back up your data before proceeding with the update.
OnePlus 9, 9 Pro Android 13 (OxygenOS 13) Open Beta Update: Changelog
The latest OxygenOS 13 Open Beta, based on Android 13, brings along a host of new features and improvements for OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro users. Here’s the list of all the new features:
- Adds Aquamorphic Design theme colours for enhanced visual comfort.
- Applies the Aquamorphic Design philosophy to animations to make them natural and vivid.
- Adds Shadow-Reflective Clock, with shadow simulating the orientation of the sun and moon.
- Adds a Home screen world clock widget to show the time in different time zones.
- Upgrades to Quantum Animation Engine 4.0, with a new behaviour recognition feature, which recognizes complex gestures and provides optimized interactions.
- Optimizes UI layers for a clearer and neater visual experience.
- Applies real-world physical motions to animations to make them look more natural and intuitive.
- Optimizes the widget design to make information easier and quicker to find.
- Optimizes fonts for better readability.
- Optimizes system icons by using the latest color scheme to make the icons easier to recognize.
- Enriches and optimizes illustrations for features by incorporating multicultural and inclusive elements.
Subscribe to OnsitegoGet the latest technology news, reviews, and opinions on tech products right into your inbox
- Adds Meeting Assistant to enhance the meeting connecting and note-taking experience, and introduces an option to make notifications more subtle and less distracting.
- Adds large folders to the Home screen. You can now open an app in an enlarged folder with just one tap and turn pages in the folder with a swipe.
- Adds a new type of Always-On Display that shows live information about music, ride-hailing, and food delivery (Supports only some apps).
- Adds media playback control, and optimizes the Quick Settings experience.
- Adds more markup tools for screenshot editing.
- Adds support for adding widgets to the Home screen, making information display more personalized.
- Adds Sidebar Toolbox. You can open a floating window inside apps for a smooth operation.
- Upgrades Doodle in Notes. You can now draw on graphics to take notes more efficiently.
- Optimizes Shelf. Swiping down on the Home screen will bring up Shelf by default. You can search content online and on your device.
- Optimizes cross-device file transfer, with more file formats and device models supported.
- Optimizes Screencast, with cast content automatically adapting to the target screen.
- Optimizes earphone connectivity to deliver a more seamless experience.
- Optimizes Bitmoji to offer more Always-On Display animations.
- Optimizes Insight Always-On Display, with more personalized Always-On Display settings available.
- Optimizes Portrait Silhouette Always-On Display, with more drawing tools and line colors available.
Security & Privacy
- Adds an automatic pixelation feature for chat screenshots The system can identify and automatically pixelate profile pictures and display names in a chat screenshot to protect your privacy.
- Adds regular clearing of clipboard data for privacy protection.
- Optimizes Private Safe. The Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) is used to encrypt all files for enhanced security of private files.
Health & Digital wellbeing
- Adds Kid Space. When in Kid Space, your browser app automatically switches to Kids mode to create a child-friendly space.
- Adds Eye comfort in Kid Space to protect children’s vision.
- Adds Dynamic Computing Engine to improve the system speed, stability, battery life, and app experience.
- Upgrades to HyperBoost GPA 4.0 to stabilize the frame rate and balance the performance and power consumption in key scenarios.
Before installing the update, users must keep in mind certain issues involved with the OxygenOS 13 Open Beta build. For instance, carrier versions are incompatible with the Open beta builds. If the flashlight is enabled, the notification will not be displayed on the lock screen. Furthermore, incoming call notifications will no longer be shown when an iPhone is calling.